Author Topic: Favorite tools for blogging and site management  (Read 484 times)

clackapedia

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Favorite tools for blogging and site management
« on: March 23, 2017, 09:20:47 AM »
I figured I'd get this started since I helped get this forum setup :-D.

In your time blogging, you likely have found tools, plugins, and resources that you love to utilize. What are some of yours?

clackapedia

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite tools for blogging and site management
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2017, 10:24:27 AM »
I'll start

Email Services:

If you want to do transactional emails, I love Mailgun.  If you use this link, you'll get 30k free emails a month vs 10k you normally get: https://www.mailgun.com/google

If you want more marketing emails, for free starting up I've heard great things about Mailchimp and MailerLite

Beyond the free tiers, when wanting to get more advanced in emails, I've heard great things from many bloggers about Convert Kit https://www.clackapedia.com/convertkit. It's expensive but easiest to use out of all the automation platforms.

If you want Email Automation on the cheap and are very technically minded, you can try Mautic www.mautic.org open source self hosted marketing automation platform.  I'm playing with it right now and While it has a BIG learning curve, it's easily the most powerful one out of the bunch.

If you want to use Mautic, I recommend taking this course on Udemy. 

https://www.udemy.com/the-ultimate-guide-to-mastering-mautic

IMO It's worth the ~15-25 bucks to break down how to use Mautic quickly, it's also less than you'd pay for a month of ConvertKit.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 10:32:19 AM by clackapedia »

Mr FrugalFather

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2017, 11:19:57 AM »
As a new blogger I've had great experiences e with the free version of Mailchimp! It's easy to use and has a great forum for asking questions.

clackapedia

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2017, 12:15:53 PM »
Next set of Tools!

Backups:

If you're using Wordpress, there are 2 backup plugins I'd recommend, both of which you can grab in the Wordpress Plugin Repository:

• Updraft Plus - Super powerful backup plugin that zips up your website and database, lets you automatically have the copy on Dropbox and other services.  Free version has the capacities most people would need.  If you do want to pay, you get to pick more than one cloud backup service, set the exact time of backups and a few more power user options
  • WP Time Capsule - this plugin takes incremental backups and backs up to S3, Google Drive, or Dropbox.  Incremential can be useful, as it consumes much less resources backing up only what changed.  If you're using shared hosting in particular, this may work better as you use a lot less resources this way.  Free version takes daily backups and lets you revert to the last 15 days of changes.  Paid version gives you on-demand backups, staging, and auto updates with backups.