Author Topic: Should I put all my money into an index fund?  (Read 492 times)

riddlemb

• View Profile
Should I put all my money into an index fund?
« on: August 12, 2019, 01:30:36 AM »
I have been reading about frugal living and early retirement since 2014, mainly Mr Money Mustache's blog (which I like) and Early Retirement Extreme (which I don't like), and later on, I found The Wealthy Accountant :)

Saving money is very easy for me. I'm 30 years old, graduated as an Information-Systems Engineer 5 years ago, and manage to save about 50% of my income (the rest goes to rent and food). At this point, I managed to accumulate what would be about 100K US dollars (I live outside the US)

Investing though, is a difficult issue. So far, all my money is sitting in my bank account, doing nothing, for while I read a lot about FIRE and investments, all the guides were from the US, and it took me a lot of time and effort to understand how things work locally. That said, now, after reading Jim Collins' Stock Series, posts by John Bogle, Warren Buffett, MMM, and The Wealthy Accountant, I think I have a clear understanding on how index funds work.

My issue:
I live outside of the US, in a very poor country and without any family or relatives. Nor do I have any assets. All my net-worth is those 100k in the bank account I managed to save. And I wonder, is it wise to put it all into an index fund? (VTI, if to be specific). Owning a real estate is a big problem here. For example - being an engineer with a relatively high income, I get what would be 2,900 USD after takes. Half of this sum goes to rent and food. A what would be considered here as a "cheap apartment" costs 374,000 USD.

I am getting the impression that in the US, index funds are not the main source of investment/ income after early retirement. Keith and Pete, for example, own multiple real estates, and Pete clearly stated in one of his posts that his main source of income is the house he is renting, then the blog and the co-working space, and only after that, his stocks portfolio.

Thus I wonder: putting all my money (and keeping putting each month all that I save) into 100% VTI feels wrong, but I have no idea what else can I do wit the rest of the money.

Side note: Pete also once said: "an investment is anything which generates you money by simply owning it, even if you can't sell it", well, index fund doesn't really fit this description - the dividends are low, and most people relay on the fact that someone is going to buy their stocks in the far future for a high price.