Author Topic: CPA Pursuit  (Read 1394 times)

ColeFord

• View Profile
CPA Pursuit
« on: August 29, 2018, 08:57:43 PM »
Good morning/afternoon/evening!
I'm a 35 year old single man who resides in the D.C/MD.VA area (employed at a bank; will be transitioning in a commercial real estate underwriter position). I will be going back to college to complete an accounting degree (Bachelor's/Master's accelerated program). While attending college I plan to also prepare for the CPA license (AUD --> REG --> FAR --> BEC) so I can take the exams while everything is fresh. The purpose is to establish my own accounting firm serving small business owners, real estate investors, and accredited investors. While also allocating 50%-75% of my income to multifamily properties (20+ unit complexes) and index funds. I'm willing to do what's necessary but it's wise to inquire about an efficient way to earning the CPA license and gaining the necessary experience.

Thanks in advance!

KeithTax

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: CPA Pursuit
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2018, 10:38:01 PM »
I'm not sure what you're asking, ColeFord. Can you elaborate?

ColeFord

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2018, 10:00:34 AM »
Thank you for the response.
Which firms would make sense to gain accounting experience while I'm completing my degree and preparing for the CPA license? The end goal is to operate my own firm specializing in taxation for real estate investors, accredited investors, and small business owners.
In other words, with the knowledge and experience you've gained in your career. How would you go about reaching my end goal?

Maccountant

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2018, 12:23:47 PM »
ColeFord,

I would concentrate on finding a local CPA firm to work with to gain the necessary experience. Big Four looks good on a resume, but it sounds like you are not trying to build your resume to impress another employer down the road. You want the requisite skills to hang your own shingle. a local firm will give you the experience you need to work with small business owners.

There are a lot of solo practitioners out there that are getting older and are looking for succession plans for their clientele. Perhaps working with one of them to learn and position yourself to take the reins when the time is right could be an option.

Josero

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2018, 02:06:30 PM »
How often does what you described in the second paragraph actually work out, Maccountant? It sounds great.

SteveCPA

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2018, 06:19:43 PM »
How often does what you described in the second paragraph actually work out, Maccountant? It sounds great.

I have seen this happen a lot as well. It is harder to find CPAs, and many current single owner firms are wanting a replacement so their clients are in good hands and makes for a smoother transition. I have found this type of job on my state's CPA board. I am also a Macc person that wants to build up experience to have their own firm, or partner in it. I think this is the best way to do it and would learn more than a Big 4 if owning this type of firm is your goal.