Author Topic: How to Get Clients  (Read 1109 times)

ChinaCaptain

• View Profile
How to Get Clients
« on: July 26, 2018, 12:00:09 PM »
Hello,

I am brand new to this forum, and would appreciate any candid advice.  So I am currently researching getting my EA and later CPA.  I would like to start a Tax, Payroll and Business Consulting practice on the Long Island, NY area.  I left the business consulting (International Supply Chain Management) area many years ago and enjoyed the work very much, but not the company I worked for during the late 1990’s. 

Now that I am older and hoepfully wiser, I would like to know in addition to a solid website, what other forms of advertising and marketing has worked in this area?  I noticed that our local papers and direct mail contain no accounting firms who advertise at the local level, although thousands of small businesses advertise in these papers such as roofers, pool cleaners, handyman, etc.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Andrew

KeithTax

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: How to Get Clients
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2018, 01:37:23 PM »
Direct mail and newspaper advertising to promote a tax/accounting office died decades ago. Most tax offices are swamped quickly with work because demand is so high compared to people entering the field. I found the free advertising works best. Speaking to a handful of organizations the first year will start the ball rolling. It should take on a life of its own after that. I assume you will have a store front. Just a store front on a main street will drive work to you.

Additional advice: Don't do everything. Just because you can do it doesn't mean you should. I'd farm out the payroll. If you have bookkeeping clients show up you have to decide if you want to deal with it internally or farm it out, too. Tax and consulting is huge. Tax preparation is really data processing and a commodity, but consulting is where the client can get real value for their investment. A few select speaking engagements locally will probably give you more work than you can handle.

wallmann

• View Profile
Re: How to Get Clients
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2019, 01:07:22 PM »
One good way is to offer your services or savings with no upfront fees.

No savings = No fees

http://bit.ly/2cv3i8O