Author Topic: Things we pay for that we can get for free  (Read 970 times)

Gatorwife

• View Profile
Things we pay for that we can get for free
« on: July 03, 2018, 12:48:05 PM »
I was reading an OLD article this morning from a random blog and it was talking about the future and whether or not businesses will be able to convince you to pay money for things you can otherwise get for free. According to the article this is where the growth will be for businesses.   Then I started thinking about all the stuff we do pay for now that used to be or still is free.  Bottled water vs Tap water, Books - Amazon vs Library, Formula for babies vs Breast fed, Hanging out the laundry vs Drier, TV subscriptions, Radio subscriptions, Driving a car vs Walking / Biking.   

I just thought it was a very interesting line of thought that I have never really truly gave time to before.  What are some of the stuff you pay for now that is or used to be free?   
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 12:55:05 PM by Gatorwife »

KeithTax

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Things we pay for that we can get for free
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2018, 06:04:33 PM »
It keeps getting every year to build a fortune. The cost of living has declined to such a point we are all living like kings. A hundred years ago nobody dreamed of such a world.

Music is one that comes to mind. We can watch YouTube videos all day without a problem and no cost. Every taste in music is available.

Jim

• View Profile
    • Jimalism
Re: Things we pay for that we can get for free
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2018, 05:53:11 AM »
That's an interesting take Gatorwife.  I keep reading articles and thinking about things that are free now which we used to pay significant sums of money for (i.e. Skype or FaceTime vs. paying for video teleconferencing) etc.  I see the bottled water vs. tap water thing a lot.  Another similar one is air purifiers vs. getting natural fresh air.  Granted, air pollution is a problem in some major metropolitan areas, but fresh air and opening the window used to be free.  Now we use machines to purify it for us.
I've started a blog (not nearly as good as Keith's):
http://jimalism.com/