Author Topic: Accountant Wanted: familiar with TX and RI  (Read 2939 times)

MichelleKry

• View Profile
Accountant Wanted: familiar with TX and RI
« on: October 26, 2017, 10:57:36 AM »
My husband and I both have businesses that we run out of our home which happens to be an RV.  Mine is on/off, part-time. His is mostly off.  Our domicile state is TX. We own a rental property in TX, and sold rental property in RI this year.  We have retirement accounts and investments with Vanguard and Betterment.  We've been flubbing our way through taxes using Turbo Tax for years.  This year, though, with the real estate sale and the associated RI tax bill, we are going to have to file a RI tax return.  I am looking for help to minimize that tax and, in general, analyze our whole situation and to make recommendations.

Maccountant

• View Profile
Re: Accountant Wanted: familiar with TX and RI
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2017, 08:07:46 AM »
Are you looking for someone to prepare your taxes for you? Or are you planning on preparing them yourself but are looking for guidance on the preparation?

MichelleKry

• View Profile
Re: Accountant Wanted: familiar with TX and RI
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 01:37:07 PM »
Sorry for the delayed response.  I figured I would have got an email when someone replied.  I will figure out the options...

I am having a hard time answering your question.  Whether you prepare it or review it, I would expect that the tax (investment/estate) advice would be the same.  To me, who fills out the paperwork is not as important as how to fill out the paperwork.  I've not worked with an accountant before, so please let me know if I am missing something.  I'd also like to discuss reviewing previous tax returns to see if it makes sense to amend them.