Author Topic: Solo 401k recommendations  (Read 516 times)

k_day

• View Profile
Solo 401k recommendations
« on: March 27, 2017, 10:25:16 PM »
I need to open a Solo 401k soon and I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations for who I should go with.

Currently all my accounts are in Betterment though they don't offer a solo 401k. I'm considering going with Vanguard but 1) I've heard some complaints that not all of their funds are offered with their solo 401k, and 2) Depending on which Vanguard funds I choose I may have to disable TLH on Betterment to avoid wash sales. Which, if I have to disable one of the key features that supposedly justifies the premium for the service it may make sense to either choose a different solo 401k provider, or leave Betterment.

Longer-term I'm going to consider leaving Betterment anyway. I lost a lot of trust in them with their recent fee bait and switch, and despite making regular deposits I've harvested 0 losses in the last year. That's a story for another post though.

fabdog

• View Profile
Re: Solo 401k recommendations
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2017, 07:38:57 PM »
I opened mine with Schwab.  Service is good, and all the low cost funds in their index fund lineup are available, low minimums to start, $1 for additional contribution minimum

Mike

Veiled

• View Profile
Re: Solo 401k recommendations
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2017, 08:06:21 PM »
Fidelity seems to win out whenever I hear this discussed. Ironically, I've heard they give better access even to Vanguard funds (or admiral shares with lower ERs).